MORE Frequently Needed Solutions from Griffin Networks
Technology is a wonderful thing, until it doesn’t work. Fortunately, some of the most frustrating computer problems can also be fairly simple to fix.
For some reason, I can’t seem to print. What the heck? It worked yesterday…
We all expect to be able to print on demand. So when you hit print and nothing happens, you are suddenly dead in the water. The good news is that the fix can be pretty easy, so don’t despair. Instead, try these easy diagnostics:
- Check if printer is on or off. If it is on, turn it off for 30 seconds then turn it back on and try to print.
- Still not working? The next step is to unplug the USB cord from the printer while the printer is on. If the computer makes a two-note sound (high note to low note), then the computer “sees” the printer. Plug the USB cord back into the printer. When you hear the two-note sound (low note to higher note), try printing again.
- If neither of the steps above works, try restarting your computer.
- If the problem is still not resolved, call Griffin Networks.
The icons on my desktop have disappeared. Now what?
Disappearing icons is a “magic trick” that no one enjoys. Here are some simple steps to get your icons back:
- Logoff the network and then log in again and see if the icons show up. If the icons are back, you are good to go.
- Still no icons? Try restarting the computer and see if that does the trick.
- No change? It’s time to run a virus scan or give Griffin Networks a call and we’ll get you back on track.
What happened to my icons? They’ve suddenly gotten too big (or perhaps too small).
Getting your icons back to “normal” is a fairly easy fix. Try this:
- Right click on your desktop. A box should pop up with several options. Select Screen Resolution. Another box will open up and near the bottom of this popup is a line in BLUE that says: “Make text and other items larger or smaller.” Normally the setting is Smaller (100%); however you can make them larger by selecting one of the other two choices.
- If this doesn’t do the trick, chances are that your screen resolution has been changed. Again, right click on your desktop and again select Screen Resolution. The second box down is the resolution setting. Ordinarily the recommended setting should already be there, but you can click the down arrow and select other settings by moving the pointer up or down. Click OK and the computer will show the effect of this selection. You have 30 seconds to say keep settings or revert.
- Feel free to give Griffin Networks a call. We’re glad to be of help.
Help. I have no sound on my computer.
Before you pick up the phone, here are a few simple things to check:
- Are the speakers turned on? Check the volume dial on your speakers.
- Are the speakers on your computer turned on? There is a small speaker icon in the lower right corner. Left click on the icon and a volume window will pop up. Move the volume bar up to increase the volume.
- One last check – the green mini-jack from the speakers should be plugged into the green jack on the computer.
- If you still don’t have sound, give Griffin Networks a call.
This is the second edition of “Frequently Needed Solutions” from Griffin Networks. Stay tuned for more. And be sure to share this information with your co-workers and business associates. We’re here to keep your business running and make your life easier.
Griffin Networks – IT Solutions That Work!